Best To Go: Either May or September
Three To Try:
What To Eat: Make sure you try the mussels straight from Kotor bay or fresh Bouge fish from the Montenegrin coast.
Where To Stay: For those who are looking for a touch of luxe, Palazzo Radomiri is the best in the country (in our humble option!).
Best To Go: November to April
Three To Try: 1. Northern Lights Safari – one of the natural wonders of the world, the Aurora Borealis occurs throughout the winter, from November to April, most commonly between 5pm and 2am.
2.Dog Sledging – a tad more active and dramatic than a husky-sled ride
3. Take to the mountain for some skiing and snowboarding – Finnish Lapland offers the most variety, and the longest slope (3km) is found in the largest resort, Ylläs.
What To Eat: All we want for Christmas is a Kalakukko (a fish pie inside bread roll) and some Leipajuusto (cheese bread!)
Where To Stay: Without a shadow of a doubt, we are always staying at the enchanting Kakslauttanen Arctic Resort.
Best To Go: May – September
Three To Try: 1. Visit the Orangutans at SORC – the largest and oldest orangutan rehabilitation centre in the world.
2. Climb Mount Kinabalu and witness a sunrise or sunset from it’s (sometimes cloudy) peaks.
3. Dive the Sipadan – a little island off the east coast of Borneo is the number one reason why divers come to Malaysia. Formed over thousands of years by living coral growing on top of an extinct volcano, it lies in one of the richest marine habitats in the world.
What To Eat: Sarawak Laksa – the Malaysian version of noodle soup!
Best To Go: September – November
Three To Try: 1. Old Tbilisi – Tbilisi Old Town is the historic district of the capital of Georgia.
2. Rustaveli Avenue – Rustaveli Avenue is Tbilisi’s main thoroughfare and a must-see destination for anyone staying in the city. It’s also the location of Rose Revolution Square, filled with shops, cafes, museums and vendors of all kinds.
3. Eat and drink until your heart is content – Georgian cuisine is loaded with cheese, bread, walnuts,and spices — try out some khinkali (dumplings), khachapuri (cheese-filled bread), eggplants with walnuts, chkmeruli (chicken in garlic cream sauce), to get a real taste of the “Silk Road’ land.
What To Eat: Top of our list is the cheesy dumplings, Varenyky.
Where To Stay: Top of our list is ROOMS Hotel, the most artistic property in the city.
Best To Go: February – April
Three To Try:
1.Get lost in the backstreets and hustle in the bazaars for ancient rugs and antiques.
2. Wander through the peaceful Jardin Majorelle gardens.
3. Take a tour (or a hike!) through the Atlas Mountains and explore the beauty of the world.
What To Eat: As a rule, try a local tagine or couscous based dishes (nobody can do it better). Lamb is also very popular so be sure to sink your teeth into some lamb based dishes during your visit.
Best To Go: June – September
Three To Try: 1. Roam the streets of Yerevan, the ‘pink city of Armenia’. Highlights include the Republic Square, Genocide Memorial, Mother Armenia Monument, Vernissage Art Market, just to name a few.
2. Ski in the winter wonderland of Tsaghkadzor.
3. Drink the local coffee and immerse yourself in local flavours.
What To Eat: We are excited about getting our hands on some Kyufta (handmade sausage beef, grains and sautéed mushrooms) and Lavash (Armenian bread).
Best To Go: This is totally dependant on where you are visiting during specific times of year.
Three To Try: 1. Visit Lang Co (near Da Nang) and make the most of sea, mountains and nearby UNESCO heritage sites.
2. Take a boat trip across Halong Bay.
3. Crawl through the Cu Chi tunnels, used by the Viet Cong guerillas as hiding spots, view the remnants of the bomb craters, and even fire an AK-47 nearby.
What To Eat: Take a Ho Chi Min food tour to get a real taste of what the country has to offer. Try everything from Bun Thit Nuong to Pho Le.
Where To Stay: Our favourite has definitely got to be Banyan Tree Lang Co – a perfect slice of paradise in the heart of adventure.
Best To Go: November – March
Three To Try: 1. Explore Lamu Town with its ancient fort, its wood carved doors, bustling markets and the ubiquitous donkeys the town is charming and authentic—no wonder UNESCO recognised it as a World Heritage Site.
2. Sail in a traditional Dhow.
3. Visit the ruined city of Takwa.
What To Eat: Biryanis and curries, couscous and pasta, coconut rice with mango chutney, and most of all the varied seafood are popular in Lamu with huge influences coming from India, Oman and Zanzibar.
Where To Stay: The Majilis Resort is the best we have seen however, there are plenty of options for renting villas for larger groups.
Best To Go: October – May
Three To Try:
1. Shwedagon Pagoda – Nestled in the heart of the former capital, Yangon, Shwedagon Pagoda greets its visitors with mountains of gold!
2. Bagan -Be amazed by the sublime beauty of Bagan’s ancient kingdom – unlike anything we have seen in a while.
3. Mrauk U Ruins – A true mark of ancient civilizations in Myanmar.
What To Eat: Mohinga (rice noodle served with fish soup) is a favourite Myanmar dish mostly enjoyed at breakfast, birthdays and other celebrations.
Where To Stay: At the moment we are loving the ancient authentic style of Aureum Palace Hotel in Bagan however, we also like the idea of sleeping on the water and travelling in style of the RV Strand!
RIO DE JANEIRO, BRASIL
Best To Go: If you are aiming for the Olympics, make sure you visit between 5-21 August
Three To Try: 1. First things first, if you are visiting during the Olympics, make sure you go and watch!
2. Christ the Redeemer – the icon of Rio.
3. Make sure you swing by Copacabana beach located in the South Zone of the city. It is known for its 4 km balneario beach, which is one of the most famous in the world.
What To Eat: You can go and easily grab great tasty steak, seafood and Brazilian bread from lots of different places near the Olympic ground including Mitsuba and Giuseppe Grill
Where To Stay: Mar Ipanema Hotel is a comfortable, affordable base in the heart of elegant Ipanema, a short walk from the beach and 20 minutes from neighbouring Copacabana and games venue.